Looking to Sell?
As your listing Realtor my job is to work with as many agents as possible to drive more buyers to your property. I make the information a buyer needs to make a purchase decision readily available to all real estate agents and purchasers. The Whistler real estate market is complex with property rights, restrictions, types of useage and requirements unique to resort living and not found in traditional urban markets. Living full time in Creekside I'm never more than a ten minute drive from your Whistler home.
The Whistler Real Estate Company celebrates our 40th year of excellence in service for the Sea to Sky corridor. No other company offers the in depth marketing pieces in traditional print, web based, years of experience and our great office in Whistler Village.
If you’re thinking of selling your Whistler property these 10 steps will help put the process in perspective for you. Or call me and we'll get going today!
- Determine Why And When You Would Like To Sell. Motivation plays a critical factor in determining what course of action you need to take. Spring is typically a faster paced season to sell and winter tends to be a little slower. Regardless, there are always people looking to buy and seasons are only one factor to consider. In Whistler we are steady year round but with buyers from different walks of life. Destination guests, local residents and second homeowners are the pool of people who’ll be potentially buying your resort home. Give me a call. I’ll be able to help get you in the right direction for your particular property.
- Sign A Listing Agreement With Me. It authorizes me and my brokerage to market and sell your home. The agreement serves 3 purposes. a) It defines our relationship and every detail and limits of your Realtors authority. b) It provides detailed information on the home which can be posted the boards Whistler Listing Service. c) It forms a basis for drafting offers on your home, formal offers start with the Listing Agreement.
- Set Your Price. You want to attract buyers, the right asking price will attract not deter. I know the factors affecting the market. For example: Your neighborhood may be under development with larger families and houses, there may be a large company opening up bringing jobs and a demand for housing in general, interest rates may be affecting peoples willingness to take out mortgages. I will do acomparative Market Analysis (CMA) to the homes recently sold, active and expired in your area and we will set the price.
- Prepare Your Home For Viewing. Get your mop, vacuum, tool belt & paint brush and let’s get your home a mini make-over. It’s the little things you can do to attract an offer. Get rid of the clutter, clean everything, repair as much as you can within reason, add some beautifying touches like new door handles on cupboards and perhaps even paint. I’ve studied home staging in the US and I bring a thoughtful approach to work within your lifestyle and financial constraints. I’ll provide a post listing package to guide you through the process. With my photographic studies I am able to provide professional photographs and quickly take new photos as seasons and weather change. I have a large photo archive of complexes in Whistler.
- Find a Lawyer. You need to find a lawyer to do your conveyance; it’s where they transfer the title of the property from your name. Ask them how they structure their fees and get an estimate of all other costs you can expect. If you are an out of country seller I’ll work closely with your accountant as well.
- Let Me Market Your Home. This is my expertise and this is where I can be at most benefit to you and your success. I will use combinations of marketing from traditional media to Whistler Listings.com, MLS, my own website and networking. Open Houses for Realtors and the public if suitable for your property.
- Prepare Your Finances. Is your mortgage portable without any penalties? Can the buyer assume your mortgage? Can you discharge your mortgage without any penalties? Does capital gains tax apply to you? Talk with your mortgage broker and perhaps your accountant to see what applies.
- Offers! Let’s Look At Offers. I will walk you through the process, you will see every offer. There may be some conditions you may want to change; we will discuss each and every detail. This is one of the most important tasks and reasons you have hired me, the negotiation skills. Don’t be offended if your offer is well below the asking price. Instead, evaluate it for what it’s worth and counter back. Successful negotiation is an art with the end product being a contract that holds up in court if need be.
- Close The Deal! Excellent, negotiations are successful and we have time for the most vital steps now. A) Contact your lawyer and let them know an Agreement has been signed. B) Immediately begin satisfying any conditions that require your actions to complete C) Notify the lawyer and lending institution if the buyer is assuming your mortgage D) Contact utilities, telephone and cable companies about transfer or removal of service.
- Call insurance agent and arrange cancellation of your insurance.Send out change of address cards including Ministry of Transportation for your BCDL etc. Notify me immediately if there are any changes to your property or situation.